FIVE Bahrainis released from Guantanamo Bay may each soon receive a BD50,000 grant from the government. MP Mohammed Khalid, who has been at the forefront of efforts to free the captives, plans to raise the issue in the next session of parliament, which begins in October.
It is crucial the men receive compensation for the suffering and torture they were forced to endure in the US prison camp and so they are able to financially support their families, he told the GDN.
"The government must give them something," said Mr Khalid.
Bahrain's last Guantanamo Bay detainee, Isa Al Murbati, 41, returned home on August 8 for an emotional reunion with his wife and five children, who he had not seen for more than five years.
Three other Bahrainis, Adel Kamel Hajee, Abdulla Al Nuaimi and Shaikh Salman bin Ibrahim Al Khalifa, were released from Guantanamo in November 2005, while Salah Al Blooshi was freed and returned to Bahrain in October last year.
Juma Al Dossary, who has dual Bahraini-Saudi nationality, was also among a group of 16 Saudis freed and transferred to Riyadh last month.
"Look at what the government of Saudi Arabia has given Juma - a car, monthly allowance, help to find a job and get married."
Mr Khalid, from Al Menbar block, said plans to lobby the proposal among other MPs in the coming weeks to drum up support for the idea.
"Everybody should get BD50,000, but (if that is considered too much) at least BD10,000, including a monthly salary of BD300 until they have a job," he said.
"None of the detainees have found a job."
Meanwhile, the lawyer who led the campaign to free all of Bahrain's prisoners in the US-run camp said Bahraini's Guantanamo Bay chapter would only close when the government rehabilitates the detainees.
"We are extremely gratified that Isa Al Murbati and all of our clients are once again with their families," said Joshua Colangelo-Bryan.
"While Guantanamo's system of indefinite detention without due process remains in place, at least these six men are not subject to that system any further.
"Of course, they were subject to it for far too long.
"We wish to take this opportunity to thank all of those in Bahrain whose efforts brought our clients home.
"Naturally, this includes Nabeel Rajab and his colleagues, who fight tirelessly for the human rights of all people and who were instrumental in getting us involved in this case.
"We are also grateful to the Bahraini parliamentarians who advocated on behalf of our clients.
"In addition, those in the Bahraini Press and the general public who kept the issue of Guantanamo alive should be thanked."
Mr Colangelo-Bryan also praised the efforts of the Bahrain government in negotiating with US officials for the return of his clients, but said their work should not stop now.