A BAHRAINI detained in Saudi without trial for more than a year over alleged terror charges may be released soon. Khalil Janahi, who was arrested in Riyadh in April last year and has a dual UAE citizenship, was transferred to a prison in Dubai on Monday.
The National Justice Movement has been following up his case along with those of three other detainees with the Saudi authorities, who told them that Mr Janahi had been moved to a prison in the UAE.
The other three detainees in Saudi include Abdulraheem Al Murbati, who was arrested on similar charges in June 2003, freed Guantanamo Bay detainee Abdulla Majid Al Nuaimi, arrested at a Saudi checkpoint at the King Fahad Causeway last month, and Hassan Al Yabis, arrested at the Saudi checkpoint on August 11.
"This is a very good development and we thank all those who contributed to making it happen," said the group's freedom committee head Mohammed Janahi.
"Khalil was sent to the UAE and has not been charged or prosecuted. Now they have told his sister that they will carry out a few procedures before his release in a few days," he said.
"I believe that this is a very good initiative and hopefully the other three detainees will soon return home."
Mr Janahi's sister, who wanted to be named as Umm Ali, said that the news had not changed the families' feelings.
"We still do not know anything about him or about his health condition. The UAE authorities told me that he will be released soon after further investigation," she said.
"We do not know where he is and no one from Bahrain called us and I am trying to call the UAE Interior Ministry to get more information.
"How can we be happy when he is now in another country and we have not even spoken to him or know where exactly he is?
"We have been promised his release before and now we have been waiting for two days and we do not know what is happening."
Meanwhile, Umm Ali, wife of fourth detainee Hassan Al Yabis claims that since her husband's arrest on August 11, she has not heard from him and does not know where he was being held.
"He is a truck driver and transports goods for DHL and Aramex around the GCC and had been doing it for nine years," she said.
"On that day he was transporting goods from the UAE back to Bahrain and had to stop at the Saudi checkpoint for the truck to be checked and that is when he was arrested."
Umm Ali said that if he was arrested for transporting drugs, the whole truck would be confiscated, but it was not and was given back to his family with all the products.
"Since his arrest we have not seen him or spoken to him and there is no news about his condition," she said.
"I sent a letter to the Foreign Ministry and the Bahrain Embassy in Saudi and they told me that they will look into the case, but to this day I have not heard anything new."
Mr Al Murbati and Mr Al Nuaimi are believed to have been included in a list of nearly 1,000 Al Qaeda suspects accused of carrying out "acts of war" against Saudi Arabia.
Mr Al Nuaimi had been detained in Guantanamo without trial for more than four years on terror suspicions.
He returned to Bahrain on November 5, 2005, with fellow detainees Adel Kamel Hajee and Shaikh Salman Al Khalifa.
Salah Al Blooshi was freed and returned to Bahrain in October 2006, while the last Bahraini detainee Isa Al Murbati returned home in August last year.
They were all held on terror suspicions but none was charged or tried.